The Met Gala is never a time to look for the demure or the classical. The event is supposed to bring out the crazier, edgier side of the American celebrities, so to do that and still manage to take our breaths away? That takes some doing. Here are some of our favourite looks of the night themed the Manus x Machina exhibition:
1. Lupita Nyong’o in Calvin Klein – Wow. Her skin remains flawless, the dress is Lupita at her shimmering best, the hair adds a touch of eccentricity. All in all, the look from the guy behind says it all: Chei!
2. Kerry Washington in Marc Jacobs – here to show you folks that pregnancy doesn’t have to mean boring, Kerry Washington plunged at the neckline and slit it up to the thigh. I am not too sure about the polka dot gloves, but other than that, yummy mummy heaven!
3. Zoe Saldana in Dolce and Gabbanna – Zoe has caught a lot of flack recently for her role in the Nina Simone biopic but she seems graceful and swan-like in this D&G creation:
4. Beyonce in Givenchy – I really did not like this dress and was scared of the Beyhive until I read the perfect caption on Twitter – “Beyonce turned up wearing Becky with the good hair as a dress.” I died. I just died.
5. Jennifer Hudson in H&M – This songbird just looks amazing in this white creation. Her hair, make-up and general poise is just awesome.
6. Ciara in H&M – The wig looks platinum from here but we have it on reliable authority that it is in fact metallic blue. We’re here for the wig but not too sure about the side boob, although…kudos on the perkiness and everything.
7. Nicki Minaj in custom Moschino – This S&M get-up emphasises the singer’s Super Bass, so I guess – mission accomplished.
Our Favourite Gentlemen of the Met Gala 2016
1. Idris Elba – forever gorgeous, effortlessly manly, Idris thrills us with a morning suit. This man’s sexiness simply will not quit.
2. Trevor Noah – somehow when we weren’t looking, Trevor went from being a funny man to being a McDreamy with extra fries. When did he get so yum?? Totally here for it!
3. Kanye West – I can’t with this brother. Why has he turned up like a homeless bit of tin foil? Why? And who stole his sweet?
4. Colin Farrell – this has been my boo, my bit of rough, my favourite piece of Lucky Irish since I saw him in “In Bruges” and nothing’s changed. Yes, he’s not black but…argue with your own blog. He’s delicious.
5. Jared Leto – Another non-Black boo. He’s such a weirdo but he’s MY weirdo and I will cut you if you disagree. I don’t want his babies the way I do with Colin but he’s still super special.
Worst dressed at the Met Gala:
1. Madonna in Givenchy – Can someone please come get their mummy?? Madonna shocked us in the 80s with a Black Jesus and the Erotica album, but this just smacks of desperation to us. Yes, we’re all talking about her bum, but all we’re saying is “Put it away, love”
2. Lady Gaga in Versace – following her above mentor’s footsteps, Lady Gaga has shocked us on a few red carpets, not least when she turned up like a butcher’s table, but while this costume wasn’t exactly the wooooorst thing we’ve ever seen, it was just…ick. It was neither fantastic nor did it swing us to the usual shock-horror Lady Gaga side of “Bloody hell!” It was just “What is this one wearing?”
*All pictures courtesy of these Interwebs.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.