Following the news that fifty people have lost their lives during the Orlando shooting – a tragic, unfortunate shooting in a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida yesterday, one must wonder if there are any lessons to be learnt in terms of how a country’s leaders sympathise with its people during a time of loss, grief, anger and boiling temperatures.
The Senator representing the district where 50 people were murdered and 53 injured, is speaking to the press ON THE GROUND.
The Governor of Florida is speaking to the press, ON THE GROUND.
The Mayor of Orlando is speaking to the press, ON THE GROUND.
President Obama can be seen addressing the nation here >>
Were this tragic event to occur in Nigeria,
1. Government propaganda agents will try to stifle the alarm. We would spend hours arguing if an attack was ongoing or not. Law enforcement will not respond, and when they do, those who sustained injuries would have died from bleeding.
2. The local politicians will be in absolute denial.
3. The Presidency will ignore calls for an investigation into the reported attacks.
4. A week later, one of the president’s men will issue a perfunctory statement condemning the attacks and promising an investigation that will never materialise.
5. Two weeks later, we are back to debating who should wash a man’s boxers between the woman and the washing machine.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.