Yorubas have a saying, ‘Ilé Oba t’ójó, ewà lóbùsi’, a fire that razed a King’s palace only prepared it for added beauty. Our kind thoughts are with Banky W.
An early morning inferno has razed down a property belonging to popular singer, Banky W located along Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos .
The inferno, which is believed to have begun at about 6 a.m., was caused by a faulty air conditioner.
Witnesses said by the time fire service officials arrived around 7.30 a.m., so many items were destroyed including the singer’s numerous awards.
Confirming the sad incident on Instagram, Banky W said he was thankful to be alive to give the bad news as a testimony.
Read his statement below.
“So there’should good news and bad news. The good news is… I’m thanking God that I’m alive to give the bad news as a testimony.
Bad news is… I was laying awake in bed at about 6am , and I just started smelling smoke. Stood up to shut off my tv and ac and realized it was coming from outside my door.
Opened it to see the whole stairway was filled with huge gusts of black smoke/soot, and a fire was burning stuff downstairs. The smoke was so much I couldn’t get down past it to see the source of the flames. Rushed back into my room and climbed down from the 2nd floor balcony with my dog… and then got help from the amazing workers and neighbours who helped me put out the flames. Turns out the ac in the living room had caught fire.. I know a lot of ppl have been trying to call and I appreciate it. Maybe the fire burnt some of the network in the house because I can’t receive calls LOL , but instead of calling to say sorry pls just maybe say a prayer and thank God with me.”
We wish BankyW well.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.